The position of Mate has become available within Amawandle Hake Vessels to support the Skipper on the bridge and manage certain tasks on deck.
- Maintaining a safe navigational watch
- Leading and participating in fishing activities on the deck
- Understanding and operating hydraulic and electronic equipment onboard
- Ensuring overall safety of the crew
- Coordinate net repairs onboard
- Assume responsibility for the vessel in the absence of the Skipper.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Working knowledge of the following Legislation:
I. MOS Regulations and the Safety Management Manual
II. Code of Safe Working Practices for Fishing Vessels
III. Fleet Permit Conditions and Operating Manual
- Net mending skills
- Good knowledge of ropes, wires, knots, and splicing
- Strong communicator
- Passionate about fishing and attention to detail.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum 5 years’ experience on Hake trawlers
- Valid SAMSA Medical Certificate and Seamans Discharge Book
- Valid Grade 3 CoC (minimum) and all Ancillary Courses valid
- Valid Long Range Radio License (LRC).